If you are starting a keto lifestyle and are looking for information on keto for beginners, I would recommend these 5 tips and tricks for the keto diet:
- Start Simple.
Keep it simple, especially when starting out. The best way to start the ketogenic diet for beginners is to use a simple structure for your meals:
- Choose a protein: chicken, beef, pork, turkey, fish, shellfish, protein powder, eggs, etc.
- Choose a vegetable (low in carbs): cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, Brussels sprouts, cucumbers, peppers, etc.
- Add fat. Butter, oil, lard, cheese, bacon, avocado, mayonnaise, nuts, etc.
- Eliminate Temptations.
One of the easiest keto diet tips to implement is to eliminate the foods you need to avoid. It’s much easier to stick to your goals if you don’t constantly fight temptation. Get rid of the following in the refrigerator:
- Cereals including wheat, bread, pasta, rice, oats, grains, corn, etc.
- Sugar, including table sugar, candies, cakes, pies, ice cream, chocolate, soda, fruit juices, honey, maple syrup, etc.
- Starchy vegetables, such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnips, etc.
- Legumes, such as beans, lentils, chickpeas, etc. (peanuts are an exception in moderation).
- High-sugar fruits, such as bananas, pineapples, oranges, apples, grapes, etc.
- Low-fat dairy and milk, including all cow’s milk (except heavy cream is fine), low-fat cheese, etc.
- Seed and vegetable oils, especially margarine, canola oil, corn oil, grape seed oil, and soybean oil
- Fill Your Refrigerator with good things.
In addition to getting rid of all the good things, fill your fridge with lots of good things like:
- Healthy fats like avocado oil, butter, and coconut oil
- Green vegetable leaves like lettuce, kale, and spinach.
- Low-carb vegetables that grow above ground, such as zucchini, cauliflower, and asparagus
- Meat like beef and pork
- Poultry such as chicken and turkey
- Seafood such as fish and shellfish
- Whole dairy products such as cheese and cream
- Stock Your Pantry.
Don’t forget to stock your pantry with keto staples too! Pantry ingredients are more likely to be high in carbs, but here are the types of items you’ll want to keep:
- Herbs and spices such as basil, dill and cinnamon
- Low-carb condiments such as mayonnaise, hot sauce, and mustard.
- Nuts and seeds such as almonds, macadamia nuts and sunflower seeds
- Sugar-free sweeteners such as erythritol, monk fruit and allulose.
- Easy To Do.
If you’re starting a ketogenic diet due to high carbohydrate and sugar intake, cutting them all at once can be a shock. It can cause (temporary) symptoms and cravings for ketogenic flu, and while these may be manageable, that doesn’t mean it’s the only way.
Here are some ways to familiarize yourself with it that may be helpful:
- Eliminate food gradually.
Eliminate all sugars first, like sodas and candy, then complex carbohydrates like bread and pasta, and lastly starchy fruits and vegetables.
- Listen to your body’s signals and be patient. If you’re done eating and still hungry, try drinking some water, brushing your teeth, distracting yourself with something fun to do, or waiting 20 minutes for your brain to recover. If you’re still hungry, try a salty, water-filled snack, like olives or pickles.